Monday, October 1, 2012

There's something about...

There's something about the open road that defies description. The feeling of the ground rushing by under you, of the path opening up around a bend, of sunrise on a distant, unobscured horizon.



There's something about the rushing breeze through your hair on a wind swept beach. The sound of the crashing waves, the deep blue of ocean waters, the yellow sand stretching out for miles on end.
 


There's something about time spent with close friends. The irreplaceable feeling that someone on this lonely planet understands your messed up life. A moment of connection where secrets are shared and in the process problems are halved.
 


There's something about music and film that releases pent up emotion. A moving guitar solo, an emotive scene or a poignant silence. There's something about a well constructed song that carries you to a different place. To a moment decades earlier, to a fond memory lost in the distant past..
 


These are the things that I strive for. Amongst the many unfulfilled dreams that lay strewn across the road of my life, these are the things that make it worthwhile.
 


I may never arrive, or actually approach a destination but for now I'm enjoying the open road. I'm holding on to each moment. I'm savouring the miraculous and finding meaning in the mundane. I'm basking in the warmth of close friends and awaiting the next twist on the unchartered road ahead...
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading this as I listen to "Bobby Jean" from Friday's Springsteen show......

    "Maybe you'll be out on the road somewhere
    On some bus or train, traveling along
    In the motel room there'l be a radio playing
    And you'll hear me sing this song
    Well if you do, you'll know I"m thinking of you
    And all the miles in between
    And I'm just calling one last time, not to change your mind
    But just to say I miss you baby
    Good luck, goodbye....Bobby Jean"

    Less than three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you and Scott makes me smile. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall for your pillow talk in July :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The open road is best enjoyed with a pair of running shoes and the sound of the world around you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes yes yes a million times yes to all of this!

    big love to you, simon!

    ReplyDelete